This is one of the easiest low carb dinners I’ve ever made. I may have stopped eating dairy since I put this recipe together but I’m excited to try it with a vegan or goat cheese next time. It’s quick and uses only one dish. #Winning
Basically, all you need to do is place your thawed chicken breast in the bottom of a casserole dish, cover in broccoli florets and bacon, then toss it in the oven. The first time I tried this, I put the cheese on right away, as per the original recipe, but it was a disaster. By the time the chicken was fully cooked, the cheese was rock hard. I was so disappointed I deleted the pin from Pinterest and now can’t even link to the original. Anyways, the second time I added the cheese on top for the final 5 mins and it was perfect.
Pro Tip: I use bacon a lot. I put it in salads, dinners, all kinds of stuff. Rather than cooking countless pounds at a time and crumbling it, I buy bags of pre-cooked, pre-cut bacon, similar to this one. I’m sure some people have mixed feelings about bacon in a bag but the ingredients are literally just bacon, so I’m not worried. It saves me a lot of time and energy.
After about 30 minutes, put your grated cheese on top and put it back in the oven for 5 more minutes or until it’s melted. Speaking of prepared foods, bags of pre-grated cheese usually have a starchy coating on them that manufacturers add to prevent clumping. This can negatively affect the carb count and can be come problematic if you’re trying to avoid starch for other health reasons. Food for thought!
What I like about this recipe is the customizing options are endless. If you have the time try adding green onions or chives. Maybe switch up the bacon for chunks of ham, whatever. It’s a super easy simple base recipe that tastes great on it’s own, but can be dressed up to suit your tastes!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups broccoli florets (approximately one large head of broccoli)
- 1/2 cup bacon flakes/crumble
- 1/2 - 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° Celsius.
- Placed thawed chicken breast in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Cover chicken with broccoli florets.
- Add bacon to the dish, adjusting the amount to suit personal preference.
- Bake for approximately 30 mins or until chicken has reach an internal temperature of 165 and broccoli is tender.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Return the dish to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has fully melted.
Please Note: I haven’t added nutritional information for this because there are too many variable factors. Nutritional values with vary based on the size of your chicken breasts, desired amounts of bacon and cheese, as well as any added ingredients.