I’m going to drop some truth on you guys. Before going low carb I freaking LOVED fried chicken. I don’t even know why I’m talking in past tense. I’m sure I still love fried chicken. 4 months into my Keto journey, I decided it was time to try and recreate (somewhat) that salty crunchy goodness. I needed to make some low carb crispy chicken.
I started to peruse Pinterest and found what seemed like an unlimited list of recipes. I was quickly overwhelmed and decided to try and just create my own. The low-carb “breading consensus” is to use pork rinds and parmesan so that’s what I started with. Also, while Keto is considered a higher fat diet, I prefer to reach my fat macro using fat from my butt as opposed to dietary fat, so I really don’t want to eat deep-fried anything. This had to work in the oven.
I currently weigh everything so I can accurately log my food, and will until I’m closer to my goal weight, but you don’t have to be so particular. It’s a personal choice but I recommend it so if you stall, you can figure out where you’re going wrong. This looks like a decent scale.
I used 60g pork rinds which is 4 servings or approximately 2 cups. Pork rinds can also go by the name if chiccarones so keep that in mind if you’re having trouble finding them a the grocery store. Alternatively, you can order them from Amazon here.
I crushed the pork rinds by putting them in a ziplock bag and rolling them with a pin but there are various ways to do that. After they were crushed and powdery I added the parm and seasoning, then mixed it all up. The chicken needs to be dipped in an egg wash before coating so I set up an assembly line of sorts.
Also, the chicken breasts I had were very different sizes so to ensure even and equal cooking time, I cut them into smaller strips but you don’t have to do that. Just keep in mind if you don’t, your cooking time may vary. Dip them in the egg wash then into the breading mix and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. The foil just makes clean up easier. Not very minimalistic, I know, but I’m okay with that. Less time scrubbing pans means more time doing whatever the hell else I want.. Winning!
This low carb crispy chicken is so satisfying! It doesn't even need to be deep fried to give you that delicious crunch and it's only 2 carbs per serving.
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 60g (2 cups) pork rinds/chiccarones
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- Crush the pork rinds up until they resemble the consistency of bread crumbs.
- Combine crushed pork rinds with parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, making sure they are mixed well.
- Place the mixture into a bowl, container, or dish big enough to accommodate your pieces of chicken.
- Beat the eggs into a separate container or dish big enough to accommodate your pieces of chicken.
- Dip the chicken in the egg mixture then into the pork rind mixture and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Continue until all of your chicken is coated.
- Bake at 350° for approximately 25 minutes or until cooked through, flipping once.
I usually sprinkle the remaining pork rind mix on to the chicken to add some extra crunch. Also, instead of 2 eggs you could use just one, adding a few tablespoons of water to it before beating.
Recipe adapted from various sources.
*The nutritional values provided are based on the brands that I used. Yours may vary.